1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BROWN EGG SHELLS ARE PALE IN COLOR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by STYME59, Jun 30, 2016.

1. STYME59

STYME59 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    I HAVE BROWN LEGHORNS. ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF OLD. THE EGG SHELLS ARE NOT A RICH BROWN COLOR ANYMORE AND ARE PALE TO ALMOST WHITE IN COLOR. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Are you sure you have brown leghorns? Leghorns lay white eggs.

Regarding the egg color, it is not uncommon in breeds that lay dark brown eggs to have the egg color get paler throughout the laying season. After they take a break for the winter and start up again in the spring they will go back to being a rich brown again.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. STYME59

STYME59 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
  4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The birds pictured on that site listed as brown leghorns aren't leghorns at all, they're red sex links :/ That's either very dishonest of the hatchery or very misinformed, neither of which is good. At any rate, it explains why you're getting brown eggs and not white.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  5. STYME59

STYME59 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    THANKS, THAT'S WHY WHEN I GOT MY SECOND BATCH FROM ANOTHER PRODUCER HE CALLED THEM RSL'S. LOL

6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by