Brown egg, Speckled egg, then Brown egg again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UncleHoot, Dec 7, 2007.

1. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    My first egg was brown, and had a nice hard shell. The next egg (the next day) was brown, but speckled, and the shell was not as hard. 3 days after that, I got my 3rd egg, which was brown with a hard shell. I haven't had any more since.

Definitely two different birds? The brown speckled egg was a slightly different color of brown, so I'm pretty sure it was two different birds. The only problem is that one is a RIR and the other is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I thought Wyandotte eggs were a light brown, but this was not "light" at all.

Sorry, no pictures of the speckled egg. I ate it too soon! [​IMG]

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My silver-Laced wyandotte's eggs are the same color that the RIR we had laid. Both are basically the same medium brown as brown grocery store eggs. The SLW usually has light, paler speckles, but not always.

I have noticed that sometimes a chicken will lay an egg with faint speckles (light or dark), and then the next day with no speckles at all. We only have 6 chickens so I know who lays what. In the first several weeks of laying, the color and speckled-ness does vary. Not sure if that "even out" over time or not!

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Another plain brown one, with a hard shell. I'm quite certain that this one came from my RIR, as I saw her sitting in this particular nest box this morning.

So, I either have a RIR that laid 4 eggs her first week, or else she laid 3 and someone else laid one 5 days ago (and none since).

I still think it's probably two different chickens, but only time will tell, I suppose. It's fun just to watch and wait. My daughter still can't wait until our EE's start laying eggs (22 weeks old now).

4. EmsoffLambs

EmsoffLambs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    Chilcoot, CA
    I have dark cornish and light brahmas. For several weeks, only two of them were laying. Both would lay shiny, dark eggs one day, and then dull, light speckled eggs the next. I would actually catch them in the nests laying, so I know who laid what. I always thought their eggs stayed the same color, but these two at least will vary in the color they lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by