Brown egger laying white eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandastiles, Feb 14, 2016.

1. amandastiles

amandastiles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2015
    So all my pullets started laying last week including my speckled Sussex. From what I read online she should be laying light brown eggs but they are white. Totally white, grocery store eggs white. Has anyone ever had this happen? She is very healthy and the eggs are otherwise totally normal except that they look like they are from a white egger. None of the others are white eggers and I have confirmed where each egg is coming from. This is for sure the Sussex.

2. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I wouldn't worry about it because they are just starting to lay. The egg color may change as the chicken grows older.

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok but since she just started laying she is probably just getting her laying gears going and getting used to her new instincts hope this helps

4. amandastiles

Nov 19, 2015
    I hope so. So long as it does not mean there is a problem it doesn't really matter, although she did make me lose a bet with my boyfriend.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ha[​IMG] yes as long as she is ok don't mean u won't love her any different

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you sure she isn't a mix?
    Can you post a pic of here especially a close up of her head showing earlobes?

Might be that her 'spray booth' just isn't in tune yet.
    Brown eggs are white base shells coated in brown.

7. amandastiles

Nov 19, 2015
    She comes from Meyer Hatchery so I don't think she is a mix. She was difficult to get a picture of but her earlobes are red with a small white center. I got a pinkegg this morning,I think it might be her because of the whale and no other has played a pink egg yet. I pictured it here with a white duck egg and a Maran egg. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

8. amandastiles

Nov 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may lay light brown and not tuned up yet.......like with most things chicken, time will tell.

10. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Sussex lay a very light egg. The pinkish one is very typical of the ones I have gotten. My Sussex eggs are the ones in the middle.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by