1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown eggs, brown golf balls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zgrower, Jul 23, 2008.

1. zgrower

zgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    My pullets are getting to the age that I know that the eggs will be coming any day now. I have read that you can use golf balls in the nesting boxes to convince them to use them, My chickens will lay brown eggs, do i need to find something brown to emulate the egg, or will a normal white golf ball work just as well? Every morning I let them out to free range, and as they have found another source of water, (free flowing creek) they dont return to the run/coop untill dark. I forsee problems finding these eggs if they dont lay them in the nest boxes I built inside the coop. Also, I have a roost in the coop, but most of my chickens seem to prefer pilling up on each other to sleep in whats supposed to be a nest box. Will they lay eggs in the same place they sleep? I know there are alot of questions in there, any help is appreciated.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Any color egg, be it golf ball, a rock, plastic egg, or wood egg will work. As for nest box sleeping, kick them out and put them on the roost. Do that nightly till they get the point else you'll have poopy eggs. I would lock them in for a few days here and there when they start to lay and when they are laing to reinforce that they need to lay in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by