Brown eggs in France vs Grocery store eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fasbendera, Dec 27, 2009.

1. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    My nephew (recent college grad - 1 week ago) was in his final sememster in college. He had eggs everyday and they were brown eggs. Now he is back home and everytime he has had eggs here he gets sick. I kept a straight face and said the color of the egg probably has little to do with it. I told him to try organic eggs or I would bring over a dozen eggs from my girls. Any ideas? My girls are now confined to the coop with over a foot of snow on the ground and yesterday it was 5 degrees outside. They get table scarps, and a well balanced diet but it isn't quite the same as when they are out in the yard and woods during the Spring, Summer and Fall.

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I do not have an answer for you but when we lived in Europe for 3 years the eggs are definitely different IMO (It has to be their diet). I know that seems weird to say, but they never cooked the same, ours were bought unrefrigerated in the store and the yolks were different. ( We bought both white and brown eggs there, never made us sick) I am not sure what the difference was though??? Maybe my American imagination.

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Most European Countries don't sell their eggs from the fridge. They are stored on a shelf unfridgerated. It's possible their diets are different ( the chickens), maybe they free range, and the stores supply fresh eggs unlike here in the US. The eggs from the store in the US are usually much older which is why they are fridgerated. Their diet is probably much different too. I would let your nephew try your fresh eggs. He will probably like them much better. They will taste much different then the store bought eggs here too.

He could also try store bought eggs that say free range, or organic on them as well. They may similar to what he had in France.

Bluemoon

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Many food allergies are built up slowly due to exposure. He may no longer be able to tolerate chicken eggs.

~Saddi, who spent a few nights in the hospital after consuming milk products.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your nephew is probably experiencing salmonella. Salmonella is a funny little bug in that what makes one person sick may not make another sick. Two people may sit down to eat the same exact meal, and one gets sick with food poisoning while the other is absolutely fine. It's all about how susceptible you are to the bug. There is not much you can do to resolve this issue as it has a basis in genetics. He may need to give up eggs if he can't find a supplier of fresh eggs that he can tolerate. He should try the freshest eggs possible, which are not found in stores. The eggs in stores may be organic and free-range, but they are still older than you would find at a local farm. If the fresh eggs still are making him ill then he might want to go to see an allergist to see if he has acquired an allergy to eggs. Allergies can happen at any time to any thing, even something you have eaten a million times in the past.

Good luck.

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks for the feedback. I plan on dropping off a dozen of my eggs and see if that makes a difference. I also agree that some things taste different in different regions or countries because of their diet. It could just all be in his head but we will see. I hope it isn't allergies because he loves eggs so hopefully it is the commercial versus farm fresh or it is all in his head.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    everytime he has had eggs here he gets sick.

Could it be the soy in American chicken feed? If he is allergic now to chicken eggs, he could still try duck or quail eggs. The proteins in the egg whites are different for each species. Just because you allergic to one doesn't mean you will react to the others.​

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Perhaps investigate what he's eating with the eggs, as well as what is used in the preparation. It may not be the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by