1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown eggs turning white?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greggy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    My hens are all brown egg layers, but lately I've noticed that the shell color is bleaching out almost white on most of the eggs. I changed feed a few weeks ago, and started offering oyster shell. could this be the reason(s)?

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    With age all brown eggs layers will lay lighter eggs.

3. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Yes, but this came on rather suddenly. the shell thickness seems OK. I'm planning to set some eggs late next week, and was thinking they would be easier to candle being as white as they are.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Could they be considering a molt? Eggs will get lighter up until molting and then darken afterward to get lighter again. I noticed shell thickness impacts my EE eggs but that's because there are different layers of color in an EE egg. I don't know how much difference there is in the layers of a brown egg.

5. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    I wouldn't think so. They are not even a year old, and it's been pretty darn cold here for 4 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by