1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown eggs/White eggs and cholesterol?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JanieMarie, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Someone was trying to tell me the other day that they didn't eat brown eggs because they are higher in cholesterol. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I had never heard this before.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Feel free to move it mods.

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That's totally untrue. The color of the shell is only pigment. The egg is the same on the inside. You'd be surprised at the number of people who believe that, though!

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] A lady at the grocery store once tried to get me to believe that the color of the egg has to do with what the hens are being fed.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

No difference.

Ask them what about green eggs and blue eggs?

5. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Ignorance must be bliss for some people. I just couldn't see how this could possibly be true. An egg is an egg is an egg. Sometimes I think the world is devoid of any common sense.

6. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Quote:They'd think I robbed a robbins nest for lunch!

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    you can't change the color of the egg-- and each breed tends to have their own "shades"... but I was told that the depth of the color does vary with their diet....????

8. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I thought it was the same as cow rules: White cow, white milk. Brown cow, chocolate milk. White hen, white egg. Brown hen, brown egg. But what about Barred Rocks?[​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:you mean to tell me that you havent seen the zebra striped eggs!??..[​IMG]

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:you mean to tell me that you havent seen the zebra striped eggs!??..[​IMG]

Guess I missed those! Are they for sale, I'll try to hatch anything. I've been all over e-bay looking for swans and flamingos...........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by