1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown face Orp chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moodene, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    In this pic, the chick that is looking at the camera while I was taking its picture is the one I am asking about..
    The chick's parents are Black Orps but I got this one that has a brown face??? instead..so why??? I never had this happened to the others... weird...
    [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's a mixed bird then.

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    OOOO I like him!!!
    congrats on the hatch [​IMG]

4. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    I got the hatching eggs from Tuffoldhen last year and only 1 pair of blues and 1 pair of black Orps hatched from that group..and I dont think she would send me mixed breed orps..both of my pairs are in seperate coops by themselves..from November 28th to this day so I know the Black orp hen has not been with any other roos but the Black Orp roo. I only have 3 roos and all 3 roos are with their hens.. so my babies are not mixed..so I wlll keep an eye on this one to see what color it will grow up to be.lol

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    no, it is not a mixed breed. Here is mine that hatched yesterday from Miss Prissy's orps
    He is from a red/buff and is a cockeral
    [​IMG]
    He is the sweetest thing. I put my hand in the brooder and they run and jump into my hand but he gets to bullying the others and wants to be the one in my hand. Now it looks like mine is more red and brown then yours but it is not a mixed breed, just mixed colors.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    They are both (all) sweet looking orps! I do love them. [​IMG]
    My black marrans were not born all black either, but they turned out black. Congrats to both of you!!! [​IMG]

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Maybe it picked up a recessive gene somewhere. It will be interesting to watch. Jean

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many times when you cross a Blue or Black with a Buff Orp, you'll get a chick that has some brownish down on it.

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Moodene what breed is the little black/white one to the right of the Orp?

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My BBS orps pen is pure unless I state that I have had a buff hen or a brahma hen penned and that you may get a mix egg, that's how MP got her big red orp rooster, a buffhen/over a blue or black orpington rooster.

I would never send a mixed egg when I say pure BBS and that is what you had paid for.

This is second generation Moodene right? I'm stumped.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by