1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown floating specks in the egg whites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tthompson, Sep 19, 2009.

1. tthompson

tthompson New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    What are these brown floating, odd-shaped specks in some of my eggs? I have searched this online, but nothing out there about it. They're not on the yolk, but floating in the white. Are they safe to eat? I won't even boil any until I find out if they're okay. Please help. Very new to this. Thanks.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] They are called meat spots or blood spots. They are ok to eat. Some people prefer to take them out. That is a personal choice. Also some people will break the eggs open in a dish first.

3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I'm totally guilty for fishing these out. [​IMG]

4. tthompson

tthompson New Egg

Jul 1, 2009
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'll fish them out, too. Guess I won't be boiling any, but my little green eggs never seem to have them. Maybe I could boil just those. I'll just have to decide as time goes by.

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I probably should add that of the eggs I do boil I haven't noticed any of those rouge brown specks in them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by