Brown, green or white?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bock, Dec 16, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am going to get 25 chickens to add to my flock soon. I am planning to sell the eggs to neighbors. I am hoping for relatively good egg production, but some will be better than others. If you were to buy eggs, would you rather get all brown eggs, brown and green, or brown green and white? Thanks for the input! I can't seem to make up my mind! LOL

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I get everything from pink, to cream, to brown and now blue and blu-ish green (from my two EEs). I think folks around here prefer any color to white. There's no base in fact, but folks tend to associate brown eggs with "farm fresh" and white eggs with the grocery store.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I agree, but I have 3 white layers. Putting the white eggs to certain colors help the colors to "pop". When we eat eggs though I always eat the white first 'cause I know other people like the colors. I've have quite a few people exclaim they never knew eggs could be green. They really go ga-ga over the blue too! I'd mix em up. Get a Marans and an Olive Egger too!

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I agree on the multi-colored egg-citing factor! I sell a half dozen every so often to collegues ( have a back-log of requests now! Yikes!) and usually do two light green, two med brown and two light brown/pinkish. Makes for a pretty display and they alway exclaim at how pretty they are. I bought a 25 pack of clear six-packs, printed up cute labels and voila! and I have them bring back the clear containers to refill! $2/six up here, and I am low.

Hens:
    [​IMG]

Eggs:
    [​IMG]

5. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    When I give my eggs away people look at me funny when they see green or blue eggs. Im tired of explaining they're ok. Most people just want brown I have notice. Good Luck!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I have all 3 - the brown & green are the most popular though.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    DARK red, blue, green, rich olive green, and white. [​IMG]

forget the plain' ol brown, everyone has those. . .

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with putting some white eggs in. I have white, green and brown, with the green and brown having multiple shades. I make the carton as colorful as possible. I never had a problem with green eggs, except one co-worker's husband wouldn't eat them. I wrote it of to his mental illness---he wouldn't eat a lot of things.

9. On the west coast most stores typically sell way more white eggs. So that being noted.

Go with the brown and geen just to be different.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My customers really like the brown eggs. They associate brown with being farm fresh. Some of my customers REALLY like the blue/green eggs. Some are indifferent and care more about the interior quality, but still prefer not to get the white eggs. Some are grossed out by the "exotic" blue and green eggs. [​IMG] All of my customers way prefer brown eggs over white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by