Brown hen, is she an Austrolorp or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Raising Reds, May 18, 2009.

1. Raising Reds

Raising Reds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is one of our hens, Cobina. She is the same size as my Rhode Island Reds and lays light brown and sometimes spotted eggs. I thought initially she was an Austrolorp but she doesn't really look like the pictures I've seen of them.

[​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Not an australorp for sure. She looks like a beautiful mix too me but I am not familiar with all the breeds. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable will be able to tell you.

3. Raising Reds

Jan 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    She is very pretty. Her feathers have a nice pattern that doesn't show that well in this photograph.

I never thought of her being a mixed breed. Duh!

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    The pic's a little hard to see, but black sex link perhaps???

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    She's part partridge something. Hence the pattern. Leg color is off for pure partridge rock though.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    pretty! [​IMG] Could be a barnevelder... but they are pretty rare from what I've heard.

7. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Quote:That's what I think- Barnevelder. I love those guys; so pretty!

8. Raising Reds

Jan 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    I googled some Barnevelder images and that's her! The size, personality and egg information fit too.

Thank you so much for your input Vtsarahb and Pinkfeather.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    She's very pretty. We have 2 barnevelders (pics on my BYC page), but it seems as if they are kind of rare. How did you end up with such a rare chicken without even knowing?

Barnevelders are supposed to lay dark eggs. Mine don't lay real dark eggs, but they do lay darker eggs than my other brown egg layers (BRs, BSLs,& RIR) - one of my barnies lays a darker egg than the other - their eggs are the two on the bottom row of my avatar that are next to the white egg.

10. Raising Reds

Jan 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I got all of my hens from a neighbor who was kind enough to give me three from his flock of eighteen. He choose them for me and they've all been really good layers. He is the one who originally told me she was an Austrolorp so I assume he didn't realize what he had. I'm going to tell him that Cobina is a Barnevelder and also ask him where she originally came from.

I haven't figured out which hen lays which eggs but I have noticed that on the days I get three, one is longer and skinnier than the other two so I imagine that she is laying the "skinny" eggs.

Skinny is a relative term since all three hens lay eggs that barely fit in a "jumbo" carton.

Cobina has a good personality though she is more shy and, quite frankly, not quite as smart as the other two. I would love to breed her but with the limited space I have I guess I'll have to stick with just my three. Maybe someday if we move to a house with more acreage I'll get my wish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by