Brown Layer Assortment Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Deerling, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    We got the brown layer assortment from McMurray. I'm curious if anyone has guesses, but I know it may be too early to tell. For instance we ordered 3 BO specifically but ended up with nine buff colored chicks. Will we ever know if they are Buff Rocks or Orpingtons? We also ordered two Australorps but have four black and white/yellow chicks, which could obviously be any number of things. All in all I think I've figured out any that can really be pinpointed for sure, but these are the mysteries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are all the buff babies. Obviously you can't really tell anything from these pictures other than there's a lot of them. I can't tell them apart, though. Are there signs to look for comparing Buff Orpingtons to Buff Rocks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are the black and white babies. I'm guessing the two Australorps we ordered and maybe two Black Giants? Two of them seem maybe a bit bigger and more yellow than white? Their legs and feet all look exactly the same color wise. I guess they could also be Barred Rocks.

[​IMG]
    This yellow chick is growing white wing feathers already. They wouldn't have sent a meat bird, would they? It seems that there's a whole myriad of things that she/he could be, but my guess was maybe White Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is really sweet, but total mystery. I have no idea. She actually has white wing feathers coming in, as you can see, and they look exactly like the yellow one's above (this picture was taken two days later than the yellow one's) and in the White Wyandotte description it said that the baby chicks could be yellow to grey. Think maybe they're both White Wyandottes? I kind of think no, but what do you all think?

Like I said, I know no one can really say definitively (or I certainly can't from my research!) but I'm curious at your guesses. We already identified our "mystery exotic" and we did have one packing peanut or extra. I have heard McMurray tends to send an extra in keeping with your order, like a preemptive replacement. Again, we ordered brown layers.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    buff orps have pink legs, rocks have yellow

australorps have pinkish/white feet bottoms giants have yellow

the yellow could be leghorn, rock,

3. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Thanks :) Any other guesses? I don't think the yellow one is likely to be a Leghorn, as we got the brown layer assortment. The black ones all seem to have yellow and black feet, but we definitely ordered two Australorps. Maybe it will change as they get older or it's because they're hatchery caliber?

I'm excited to see if I can differentiate between the buff colored chicks now!

4. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Granted these cuties came from a hatchery but, wyandottes are rose combed, if I'm seeing correctly those look single combed.

5. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    My black and white chicks from a brown egg layer assortment from McMurray a few (ok 5, lol) years ago ended up all being Black Stars. They were sweet and good layers.
    Maybe the ones with the yellowish white are the Black Stars?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. Deerling

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    You're right! This is why I need the eye of people more experienced [​IMG]

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by