Brown layer laying a white egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bird9, Aug 2, 2013.

1. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Hello! I am new to BYC and I have a Q I hope someone can answer for me. First my flock particulars: I have 2 RI, 2 Comet, 1 BA. All are 15 mo old and normally good layers. 1 comet, who has always been picked on by others, has gone broody. I gave up trying to change her mind, I just put her down for food & water at least 2 times a day and leave her be.

Here is Q I have gotten 3 white eggs this week. Very thin shell & only one was intact. I know for sure the non-broody comet and the BA did not lay them, as I saw them lay on day of 1st white egg. Is it possible that the broody hen laid them? I know they don't usually lay, but I was thinking that maybe lack of good diet might cause this? Until she went broody was a very good layer. I normally got 4-5 eggs per day with 5 hens. This has now changed due to molts and heat and grumpy broody hen.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

2. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Do you give them oyster shell and feed a layer feed?

3. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Yes on the layer feed. No on the oyster shell, as thin shells has not been an issue in the past. Just very thin on the white eggs. Have had 3 of them now. I am wondering if thin white eggs are result of broody hen not eating as well as she used to before becoming broody? Though, I thought broody hens don't lay eggs at all.

4. ChocolateMouse

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Broody hens don't normally lay eggs, no. Could possibly be a sick hen.
    I would try giving some oyster shell as a supplement and see what happens. Most days my hens get by fine without oyster shell, but sometimes I get a very thin-shelled and very pale egg from them (all brown layers). I just give some oyster shell that week and they perk back up. Or if it's been a while since I gave them oyster shell I toss out a hand full with their feed. This keep them in good shape and I don't have thin shelled eggs more than 1-2 days in a row. You could also feed them back their own eggshells, crushed.

5. Jordi15

Jordi15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi! I had a buff orpington go broody so I seperated her completely so she wouldn't be bothered. I did not mess with her except to candle. I put six eggs under her and candled on day five and ten... And wouldn't you know it on day ten there were ten eggs not six! So in the five days I let her be, she laid four more eggs. I didn't think they laid while broody but she did! Apparently she didn't think six was enough for her clutch? so it is possible she laid the eggs!

6. ChocolateMouse

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    You sure the BO didn't just steal eggs from other hens? My chooks do that when the brood and they move the fake eggs too, and steal them whenever they can to sit on.

7. Jordi15

Jordi15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Yep! She was completely moved from the coop and run over to my garden area and she was the only one In there. Its completely enclosed by a seven foot fence with tin 3 feet up all the way around. Nothing can get in or out! It was her laying the eggs and believe me I was surprised!

8. bird9

bird9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I have set up a camera in the coop and am watching as each hen goes in and lays. I only have 5 hens and 1 is broody, so I should be able to tell. So far 2 eggs today, but of course they are the 2 I already knew had laid normal on the day of the 2nd white egg. BO is definitely broody, not sick, as she 'steals' the eggs others lay. I've no roo, so chicks are not an option for her. Going to give oyster shell, since obviously someone in my mini-flock needs it. I'm not really worried about any of my hens. This is more of a mystery than anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by