Brown layers laying white eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kleinheksel farm, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    I have 4 hens at the moment... 2 buff orpingtons and 2 new Hampshire reds. They are just now a year old, and in the past week one of the hens has started laying almost pure white eggs. I've tried searching on here and haven't found any great answers. Does anyone have any thoughts? Should we eat them? I'll try to take some pics to show you.

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    It's usually nothing to worry about, you can get a white egg once or twice from the hens for no apparent reason. Also as the chickens get older, it's possible that the inner workings just start to slip. :lol:

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Brown pigmentation comes from mineral deposits of Iron. What kind of feed are they getting? It sounds like it's deficient for your birds.

I would suggest trying to add iron-rich foods, or for a REAL iron boost, go to your local butcher or grocery store and see if they can give you marrow or blood. Cook it up in a pot or pan until it's spongy, and feed to the chickens. They'll LOVE it, and get oodles of iron from it.

If her egg-color improves after that, you have your answer :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by