Brown legghorns?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenwoods, Jul 11, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    How many here have raised brown leghorns.What was your experience with them compared to other breeds..

These birds have been the toughest for me to raise..Terrible pecking,bad behavior (even for a chicken),mean to one another,very loud,obnoxoius,and they wont even let me touch them or hold them..

I raised these birds just like the last batch that i did.(they turned out very good),is it just the breed?

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    i have a white leghorn hen and she is a jerk, she's very skittish, but she is not loud. out of all of the chickens she squaks the least if at all. leghorns just tend to be easily frightened. as for mean-ness, that is all on a individual basis. you did say your previous batch was good.

3. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Oh, sorry i didnt explain my self very good..This is the first time i have raised brown leghorns..,

Strange thing is every white leghorn i have raised has been really nice and will come running from across the feild when i call her.

Maybe just some bad birds..?

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    No personal experience here, but I have heard (mom used to have these as did an uncle) that Leghorns are skittish and generally badly behaved...but terrific layers. Mom had these and some Dominiques and RIR and she said the Leghorns were the worst for pecking and meanness. But others here on the forum have had great success with them, so I don't know what gives. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by