Brown Leghorn Chicks

justme12182

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Hi,

We just picked up some Brown Leghorn chicks (around 1 week old). They came out of a straight run and we are trying to figure out our male/female ratio. I read about their backs, but I am a bit confused. Is it always true that males have lighter heads than females? We do have some that definitely have light heads and some that definitely have dark heads, but then there are some in between. They all have a brown dorsal stripe that goes all the way to their heads, but some are lighter than others.

Is there any other way to tell if they are male or female?

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon

I don't know of any way to do it this young. As they feather in it will be pretty easy to say. males will have black breasts and females will have salmon breasts. You should know who is who by 6 weeks.

Cyan Night

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
One method that works for me is feather growth and stance. Usually the boys won't develop tail feathers 'til they are about four to six weeks. But this might not work for all breeds. Good luck!

debid

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
:welcome

I don't know of any way to do it this young. As they feather in it will be pretty easy to say. males will have black breasts and females will have salmon breasts. You should know who is who by 6 weeks.
X2. I've heard folks who breed them get to know their stock well and can sometimes pick out the obvious cockerels very young. But, yours will be colored differently once they feather and that method is foolproof.

justme12182

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks! Now that they are almost 3 weeks (maybe 4?) I already have one that is louder and has black feathers coming in on his chest...he was one that we had guessed was male from the beginning. I will take pictures in a week or so if I still need help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom