Brown Leghorn Croup Issue

Mr Hen

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Southern Missouri
We have started to notice that one of our brown leghorns has a large croup. She is definitely skinny too. We are new to chickens and aren't entirely sure what to do. This leghorn has always been very skittish, so she is very hard to get a hold of. We did finally buy an isolation coop, so we will likely put her in it to keep an eye on her and feed her appropriate things.

What should we feed her? What should we check for?

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
First thing is to remove the food overnight and see if it doesn't go down. If you think it's not going down now, separate her and feed her loose watered down stuff, like wet mash, or yogurt.

If her crop is not moving the food along, massage it several times a day. I was home at the time and did it every chance I could. Massage in a downward motion. It may take a few days. Try to give her stuff spiked with olive oil.

I know when I'm getting somewhere when I see pieces of blockage get poop out

Mr Hen

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Southern Missouri
We did manage to isolate her, but our isolation coup won't be here until next week. We have given her some yogurt and olive oil soaked bread. Her croup is pretty squishy. I think I might try to pick up some Nystatin in case.

Top Bottom