Brown Leghorn gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by binza1979, Mar 22, 2012.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    "She" came out of a pullet bin at the local feed store. "Her" comb is getting huge and is somewhat red. She is my only brown leghorn this spring, so I have nothing to compare her to. What do you think, pullet or roo?

[​IMG]

She is about 4 weeks old.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Hatch me if you can

Hatch me if you can Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Pendleton, OR
    WOW,[​IMG] I haven't ever raised a single leghorn but any chick with a comb like that at only 4 weeks would be in my rooster grow out pen for sure.. [​IMG]

3. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Here "she" is from the side.
    [​IMG]
    She was 2.5 to 3 weeks here. She is stretching way up to get the food, but you can see how she is feathering out.

We had 2 white leghorns 2 years ago and as they were brooding I was sure that both were roosters, but they turned out to be wonderful, friendly, great egg laying hens!

4. binza1979

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Oh, and she was one of the first to feather out in the current batch of chicks...

5. ChickN'ChaseR

ChickN'ChaseR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    I have 2 Brown Leghorns from last years Pullet Bin, I was certain they had to be roosties too with their huge red combs, but Charmaine and Shelley are for certain ladies and they lay pristine white eggs on a daily basis even through winter! :) So, here's hoping you have a girl..mine also seemed to grow and feather faster than any others that I had at that time.

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    If there is any black feathers coming in on the chest that means rooster! Also that early only roos have that kind of comb, hens get huge combs when they get close to laying.
    Colour is a dead give away tho, if all chest feathers are salmon/brown its a hen and if its mainly black with in some a bit of red smudges here and there its a roo.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It looks like a pullet to me, but you'll be able to tell for sure when it fully feathers in. As mentioned, males and females are different colored. Leghorns just have huge ol' honkin combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by