Brown Leghorn has blue comb, droopy wings, lost weight and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thekatiefarm, Jun 15, 2016.

1. thekatiefarm

thekatiefarm New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    New chicken owner here! I have only been watching over this flock for about a year.

One of my brown leghorns started acting very strange two days ago (the 13 of June). When I went to close up their house, she was sleeping on the ground, I have a roost that they all sleep on, and so her sleeping on the ground was very strange. I picked her up and she didn't fight me at all, I looked her over and the top of her comb was blue and her vent was clear. I put her up on the roost but she jumped back down again. Later I looked it up and most of the other cases I read about went away within a few days or so. I figured I would wait it out and see what would happen, (As my aunt used to say, "It's either going to get better or it's going to get worse.")

This morning, (15th) when I opened the chickens up, Mrs. Leghorn was acting even worse. We have a step off their house, only five inches or so, when she came to it basically fell down it, and then just laid there. Some of the other chickens, would just come and step on her, and she didn't even move. I picked her up and she was as light as a feather, I did some more research and here is some more info about her and the flock.

Her vent is clear and wet. Her eyes are clear and pupils round. Her crop feels hard and so I'm asuming that means full. Her mouth is light brown, not pink at all. I felt between her legs and there is a long bone that sticks way out (which is from her being so skinny, I believe) other than that her belly feels soft, and it didn't seem to hurt her when I felt around. When she walks (which is not often) her feet will sometimes fold over onto her toes or even onto the other foot. When she stand or sits still her wings will fall to the ground and be very slack. When I was examining her, very often she would just close her eyes, her head would drop and she would seem to fall asleep. She is doing this a lot and if I'm not moving her she 'falls asleep' again.

I have brought her instide for further examination, I have not seen her poop yet, but when I do I will examine it and let you know what I find. I have a small container od food and water but she has not taken any of it. I have not had any previous problems with soft eggs, with her or any of the other hens. So I don't belive it is a calcium problem.

I have a flock of fifteen, varoius breeds, one rooster and fouteen hens. I have recently added three new hens to the flock, they are smaller and younger than the hens I have now. I have not seen any exsessive bullying or anything like that. My coop is very large, (I'll estimate it at 60sq ft.) The house they sleep in, I cleaned out two weeks ago, it has good ventilation and lots of fresh air. They have access to clean water, as it is very warm here. I give them some kitchen scraps, and they are fed layer crumbles. None of their food or water is medicated or supplimented. None of the others are displaying symtoms, and I have not had any problems in the past.

Please advise. If it is mites what should I do? Help please. I will post any updates.

2. thekatiefarm

thekatiefarm New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    I have been monitering her most of the day, she has not pooped, could this be a blocked vent problem, if so how do I clear it? She has been sleeping most of the day nad now even when I move her her eyes barely open. She has eaten and drank some, but not as much as I would like. She is sitting in a small open box on our table, with nothing holding her down or keeping her from leaving, but she hasn't. She hasn't even tried to leave.

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I have no idea! So sorry. :hugs
    -Banti

1 person likes this.
  4. thekatiefarm

thekatiefarm New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Ok third update, She finally pooped, it was very VERY smelly. It was also very runny, I did not see any yolk particles or signs of any such thing. She got up and turned around also, more movement than she has done all day.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    How is she now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by