1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown leghorn hen not laying eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LMamaK, Oct 24, 2015.

1. LMamaK

LMamaK New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    We used to have 5 chickens however we aren't sure how (free range so they walk out 30 acre property) but are down to 3 (1 Rhode Island Red hen, I Easter egger rooster, and 1 brown leghorn) we were getting 2 eggs a day one from each hen. Now the Rhode Island is the only one laying....anyone have any ideas?

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Many birds molt in the fall if they are at least 1 year old, they stop laying while molting.

Or the shorter daylight hours could be causing the girls to stop laying for a bit.

3. Akwasi

Akwasi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2014
    It may just be a break. Will resume later I guess

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are they?
    If around 18 months old they may be molting.

If younger, then I'd lock them up in the coop for a week as they are probably laying out in the range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by