Brown Leghorn hen or roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewToFarming, Aug 29, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I can try and get a picture later but I was wondering if you could tell me at what age you start seeing those green colored funky tail feathers. I have one that I noticed the tail feathers are kind of every which way and at first I thought someone might have been picking at them but upon closer inspection I noticed they are now coming in with a greenish, dark brown look to them. He or she is about 13 weeks old tomorrow. They were all supposed to be pullets but I am not sure of this one now. I have seven of them and they all looked pretty much the same until recently. some might have been a bit darker than the others but other than that looked identical until now. Does anyone have a picture of their teenage or adult hens and do the adult hens have the greenish cast to their tail feathers? I know it hard to get a good pics of these guys because they move so darn fast!! In the meantime I will try to get a pic but I am sure it will be hard to get a good pic showing the color.

Thanks!!!
    Lisa

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Your pullets shouldn't have any black feathers (ETA- in thier chest). Usually the leghorn roos show themselves with a big comb fairly early on. I've been ale to spot them by 2 weeks of age sometimes. I have heard of some hatcheries having a hard time sexing leghorns for some reason, so odds are you could have a roo in the mix.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are Light Brown Leghorns or Dark Brown Leghorns.
    Did you get the from a breeder or a Hatchery?

Quote:Quote:Chris

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! I got these from a hatchery. I have 2 that appear a darker brown than the others. I wouldn't call them black but a very, very dark brown. Some of the combs are them are more developed than the others and more red and definitely more red than my white leghorns of the same age. I guess it would be best to attempt to get pictures of the different brown leghorns. I will do my best and post them! [​IMG]

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I really tried to get a good pic. I will post the ones I got and maybe I can get some clearer ones tonight at treat time??? These brown ones seem even more skittish than the whites.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is one of just the tail. Very different from my white leghorn hens
    [​IMG]

Here is the white leghorn the same age and their tail seem so much different and they hold them high most of the time. Their combs are not as red as these two questionable brown leghorns.
    [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They all look like pullets. Brown leghorn boys and girls are different colors when they mature. Also- legs are known for their big floppy combs- even on the hens.

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I think you can see better in these pics of what I mean about the tail. They are that greenish black and starting to curl downward and are getting longer. I didn't think the hens had that but wasn't sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by