Brown Leghorn hen's comb changed overnight...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bbbarra, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bbbarra

bbbarra New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Angelus Oaks, CA
    I left town for a week and my new leghorn Spazzy (had her a month, she is laying occasionally) had a weird change in her comb when I returned. It was all cute and floppy when I left. My adult son took care of my chickens and dog while we were gone. We got our first snow of the year and the next morning when she came out of the coop her comb was upright and looks a liitle more severe, pointy than I thought it was before. The problem is I can't get close enough to her to really get a look at it to see if it is frost bitten or ? .....hence the name Spazzy. Is this something that happens? I liked her floppy hat!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Try to catch her at night when she's roosting - for a better look. If it is frostbite, it will need some attention, Sue

3. bbbarra

bbbarra New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Angelus Oaks, CA
    I looked at her comb and it looks perfect...it's a pretty, dark pinkish red it is just standing straight up...so weird...

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Maybe she was having a bad hair day..........

5. bbbarra

bbbarra New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Angelus Oaks, CA
    Ok folks...even more weird...... her comb is starting to flop over again! haha...I'm guessing she is just a fashionista and changes her "do" every once in awhile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by