brown leghorn mixed with white leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pittmanbirds, Jan 2, 2017.

1. pittmanbirds

pittmanbirds Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    what would I get if a brown leghorn breed a white leghorn (what would the outcome be)

also what would you get if you breed a brown leghorn and (a barred rock or rhode island red hen)

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    White Leghorns have a dominant white gene, so no matter what you breed with them, you'll always get white birds.

If you breed a Brown Leghorn with a Barred Rock hen, you'll get Black Sex-Linked chicks (you'll be able to tell the males and females apart at birth). Males will grow up to be barred, females mostly black (usually with some brown feathering the neck).

Not sure about the Brown Leghorn and the Rhode Island Red, chicken genetics calculator (allows you to select the plumage type of each sex and see what you get, Brown Leghorn is "Partridge, light brown", I'll add the link below) says red birds, and I think red is dominant, so it makes sense.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing the all of the above offspring will lay white eggs, since I think that is dominant, but I'm not positive.

http://www.breedbook.org/?action=geneticscalculator&tab=CHICKEN

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by