Brown Leghorn or Welsummer or Speckled Sussex? *UPDATED PHOTOS

popsicle

Songster
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Looking at the mountains in MT
I'm sure it's a bit early at 2.5-weeks, but does anybody have any ideas if these chicks are Brown Leghorn, Welsummer or Speckled Sussex?
I was originally leaning Speckled Sussex, but they seem to be a bit light. There are three, one I'm sure is a cockerel, one is a pullet, and the last I'm leaning cockerel also.

There is a chance that I have two of one breed and one of a second. I got them in an assorted that tends to be in pairs (I gave one to a friend).

Pullet and cockerel:

Next three photos are the same chick:

Original coloring (the one with the light back is the assumed cockerel above):

Also, I originally assumed this was a female of some variety of RSL, now I'm thinking New Hampshire Red cockerel. What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been leaning toward Welsummer more and more, but have been also wondering about some sort of OEG. I've never had them so I don't know know much about how they grow and feather in. I'm a bit confused because the assumed cockerels have lots of light orange feathers on their breasts, but no black feathers yet. The assumed pullet has much darker feathers on her breast.

NEW PHOTOS:

I'm wondering about the three darker red birds, they are three of the four chipmunks in the first post.
I was thinking Red Broilers for a while, but they aren't much bigger than the Houdan at 4+ weeks (they are being fed a meat bird crumbs, too).

All have red breasts--this was the lighter red chipmunk as a chick--which makes me think they aren't Brown Leghorn, Welsummer, etc.

Yellow legs, so doubtful Speckled Sussex?

The below chick looked like a Buff Orpington, but yellow legs?
I'm still leaning New Hampshire for the darker bird.

Last edited:
Did you ever figure out what the "Buff" you ordered was? I ordered two buffs from Cackle this year and they look exactly like that and I'm still trying to figure it out. Sent me 4 out of 6 wrong chicks. *sigh* Not the first time, not sure why I am all that shocked. Guess multiple confirmations wasn't enough for this place.

NEW PHOTOS: I'm wondering about the three darker red birds, they are three of the four chipmunks in the first post. I was thinking Red Broilers for a while, but they aren't much bigger than the Houdan at 4+ weeks (they are being fed a meat bird crumbs, too). All have red breasts--this was the lighter red chipmunk as a chick--which makes me think they aren't Brown Leghorn, Welsummer, etc. Yellow legs, so doubtful Speckled Sussex? The below chick looked like a Buff Orpington, but yellow legs? I'm still leaning New Hampshire for the darker bird.
What breed did these end up being? I have a few that are looking similar

Back
Top Bottom