1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown Leghorn or Welsummer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ebers, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Ebers

Ebers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I picked up an assorted rainbow pullet batch of chicks from cackle hatchery today & the young man said there were white leghorn, brown leghorn, welsummmer, barred rock, buff orpington & EE's in my assortment... all the other breeds are fairly easy to pick which is which but for the life of me I can't tell the welsummers from the brown leghorn chicks. Is there anything in particular I can look for to tell them apart? I'd like to sell a few of the brown leghorns but I'm afraid of selling the welsummers which I definitely wanna keep so any help with this issue wd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance & GOD BLESS

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    When they are young, Brown Leghorns and Welsummers look virtually identical. As they begin to mature you will be easily able to tell them apart by their earlobes. Brown Leghorns have white earlobes and Welsummers have red earlobes.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with Michael. They're the same color, so they're identical as chicks. As they grow the Leghorns develop those pretty enamel white earlobes and are smaller, lighter bodied and flightier. And of course, when they lay you can tell the difference [​IMG]. I think you're just going to have to wait things out to be sure you're selling the correct breed.

4. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    How old do you think they'll have to be before they start to show based on the earlobes? I'll keep em as long as I need to but I'm just curious

5. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I can tell them apart as feathered out young birds but I was trying to avoid feeding chicks that I have no intention of keeping

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Unfortunately it will take a couple of months before the earlobes develop enough for you to determine their color.

7. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Well that's ok... I really appreciate the feedback & I'll put it to good use thank you

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by