brown leghorn pullet vs. cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wife2abirdman, Dec 5, 2012.

1. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    Can I get some pics of some 10 week old brown leghorn pullet vs cockerel? I was supposed to get 4 brown leghorn pullets but 2 were DOA from a hatchery. The two I now have, the coloring is the same. The difference is the tail, one has a small tail the other has a huge long tail. Both have white/light pink combs and they are the same size and the feathers are both identical maybe the one with a bigger tail has a more salmon color on the chest than the other. It's just that tail it is sooo long. I can't find my camera so can't post a pic. All my other chick breeds I have figured out-10 breeds in all, with the exception of my coronation Sussex being very difficult to find the roo sometimes. So when do the cockerels combs start to differentiate from the pullets? I thought by now I would have them sexed for sure.

2. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    This is a pullet:

[​IMG]

And this is a cock. (There's a big difference.)

[​IMG]

Hope I helped!

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you should be able to tell the difference in them via coloration with the cockerels haveing black on their chest

4. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    i have some 18 week old brown leghorn pullets but cant find the pics right now. I will try to get a few and post them up in the next few days.

5. wife2abirdman

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    I know the difference as adults but was wondering WHEN you could start seeing the difference as chicks. My Welsummer male didn't start having different feathers until 11/12 weeks old but his comb was very pronounced by at least 6 weeks. My two leghorns are identical in every way EXCEPT for the tail and in most other breeds that means rooster but in Leghorns both the male and female have huge combs and huge tails. I have never had Leghorns before so I don't know what to look for. I just would like to find out as I have no need for a Leghorn rooster and I am becoming very attached to the one with a much bigger tail, she[​IMG] is so sweet and has always been a flyer-trying to find the highest perch. She now perches on the pen gate so I pat her specifically every morning and every night.

hdowden-When does the black start appearing on the cockerels? My Leghorn has very deep salmon on the chest right now at 10/11 weeks.

I have had such great luck with male/female(1/3) ratios that at some point the other shoe has to drop and my luck is bound to change, right!?[​IMG]

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do you have any pics? you should know by 15 weeks for sure but should be able to tell now from their coloration.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    Sounds like you have a difficult pair. Why don't you post a pic of her/him. I might be able to tell.

8. wife2abirdman

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    I will search for it but haven't found it in 2 weeks.

9. wife2abirdman

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    my camera that is

10. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    hahah, I lose my camera as well! As for the bird, then I just think you'll have to wait a little longer. Me thinks it's still a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by