Brown leghorn runs off a night!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewToFarming, Aug 17, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have 22 11 week old pullets. One of my brown leghorns takes off somewhere and I can't not find her when it is time to go back in the coop. She did twice in the past week and this morning I find her and the cat laying sleeping together in the barn. So, tonight it looks like she took 2 other pullets with her!!! So now 3 of them are missing! I looked everywhere but could not find them. I do let them free range during the day and they were all there at treat time but it seems this little girl takes off when it is time to go in the coop! How can I stop her from doing that, if at all? My roos are upset and won't sleep because they know they are not all there!!!

2. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Seems she has found her a friend..... what a hussy! [​IMG]

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    If it's a leghorn, make sure you are looking up - rafters, trees, wherever. Those suckers can fly!! And they are so sneaky.....

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I know they sure are sneaky & fast!!! [​IMG] I did look in the rafters and the tree beside the barn because they do go in that tree alot but I didn't see them in there unlees they went up even higher than normal and the flashlight doesn't reach that high??? I m going to go out and take another look around before I go to bed but if I can't find them I hope they are all back again safe and sound in the morning!!!

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:LOL....I said the same thing!!!!! She must be out messing around!!!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You need to put her in lock down otherwise she will not be a problem for long... she'll be something's meal, instead.

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    All 3 girls were waiting for me inside the barn this morning!!!!! [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They were probably out drinking.......TEENAGERS! [​IMG]

9. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I'd do a lockdown - keep her inside the coop and run for 4-5 days so she "remembers" where she's supposed to sleep. If you don't... at some point she'll end up as someone's dinner one evening.

10. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:ditto

Do treat time inside the coop or somewhere you can catch her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by