1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown leghorn won't let the rooster breed her

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Englewood, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a brown leghorn hen that is over a year old that will not let my 7 month old EE rooster breed her. He breeds my other laying hens, but she always runs away or fights with him. We were gone for a couple of days for Thanksgiving and the neighbors were taking care of the chickens. I guess that they did not let them out early enough in the morning because, when we got home, there was blood in the coop and her comb and head were bloody. She seems to be fearful of only the rooster, so I am guessing that he pinned her in a corner to breed her. Now she hides almost all day long in the yard and is not foraging normally. Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    If she continues not to submit and the cockerel continues to attack her, he will end up killing her.

You need to separate the roo from the flock. She needs to stay with her flock mates and build her confidence back.

You can try to re-introduce the roo a some point in the future, but you may end up needing a new roo with a new attitude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by