1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown Leghorn x EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lox.Chickens, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Lox.Chickens

Lox.Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Im debating with my dad weather we should fertilize eggs from our Brown Leghorn rooster and a few of our EE hens. We dont really care if they come out in funny colors hahaha. We would just like to know if the egg production would increase or not. As of now our EE's lay 3 to 4 eggs a week .... would that number go up with the offspring? Oh and if they lay blue and greenish eggs would the egg color stay that way?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Presuming the brown leghorns are more productive then your EEs then I'd gamble that the offspring might be more productive & their eggs will probably be larger. Most often the blue egg gene is inherited with the pea comb. It would be a reasonable to assume that most of the pea combed female offspring would be blue/green egg layers. There is sometimes a gene in white egg layers which makes the shell colour lighter, this can sometimes give a sort of dove grey colour egg.

3. fiftyfifty

fiftyfifty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    suburban Minneapolis
    I have a mutt that I believe may be a leghorn X EE. She has a pea comb, mostly white ear lobes, green legs, a slender body build, and a basically columbian pattern but with some bleed-through of red on her body. She lays an egg almost every day. Takes maybe 1-2 days off per month max. The egg is so pale that you might think it is white. But when you hold it right next to a truly white egg, you can see that it is a very faint greyish green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by