Brown Leghorns behavior??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Brown Leghorn-- What about eggs--laying rate? size? Personality? Any information is greatly appreciated.. Hope this is the correct forum..

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest doing a search in the forums on this topic.

In the past, I've gotten some flack for asking why anyone would want a brown leghorn. I've since redirected my though process on the matter but I will say this:

I received an "extra" chick from the hatchery that I was told was an EE. It turned out to be a brown leghorn. She is by far the most nervous, flighty bird that I have. She is everything that I have read about on the net...scared, doesn't like to be handled, likes to fly & far away!, etc. Basically, in comparison to the very sweet nature of my other birds, this girl is a maniac. She has not laid yet though she is almost 20 weeks & has a floppy red comb and huge red wattles. I've been told that they lay large, white eggs & are known to be very good, reliant layers.

My maniac did jump up on my leg yesterday when I was sitting in the run, though she wouldn't let me touch her. I'm still trying though--hopefully I will break her resolve down![​IMG]

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have three. I liked the fact that they lay large white eggs consistently. They are definitely more flighty than the rest of the flock. I know that they will not be lap birds. They are louder and seem to have lots to say...they are leghorns after all. I think they're a pretty bird. I just had to catch mine up and while it took some effort it was not any harder than trying to catch up some of my others birds.

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    if anything like white leghorn than they are the sweetie and they a lot of eggs i get one every single day and they don't eat that much. at first they were flighty until they start to lay egg for me. they will come me to be petted all the time and they do a egg song for about ten minutes a day and they lay the same hour each day and i am getting a medium size white egg after a month of laying . my start about 17 weeks

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have EE, Ameraucanas, RIR, BO and BR and NONE are lap chickens.. They will come to me IF I have treats, they do not like to be touched but will squat for me if I walk up to them.. I have ONE that comes and jumps on my knee everyday, but only to let me touch her and speak and then she flies off. I would like to add a white egg layer to my little flock... I want 'eye candy' in the egg basket..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by