Brown LegHorns can you tell the Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chuckfriedrice, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Chuckfriedrice

Chuckfriedrice Out Of The Brooder

On the Right definatly looks female and , on the Left Has Roo written all over him, but I just want it confirmed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didnt crow but Hes got all the trade marks, lol

[​IMG]

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Yeah, I would say you have a roo there. But how old is he? Can you keep a boy? Brown leghorn roosters are so pretty [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    roo

4. Chuckfriedrice

Yeah I can keep him. Im just trying to make sure my silkies arent any males . If they are I want to seperate asap! I think he might be 12 weeks or maybe a little older . No crowing yet but he look to try one day but nothing came out!

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    If boys are raised together, they'll generally get on very well. I can't say I've ever had a problem.

6. Chuckfriedrice

Even if there are hens with them ? I had the understanding that if theres hens ,then the roos must be seperated ? I have the space to do it but If I dont have to that would be great !

7. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    How many hens are there? They might get a little over-trodden.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    roosters raised together usually sort out any squabbles when they're young.You do need to have over a dozen hens usually to support the attention from two males or your hens will get overmated and stresses. Space in the coop and run is also important. The young roos need to be able to get away from each other. They're animals, no one can predice exactly what they'll do, so keep an eye on them for excess fighting and the hens from getting stressed.

9. Chuckfriedrice

Right now there are 7 total chickens , 2 brown leghorn( 1 male and 1 female ) ,2 california whites ( looks to be both female) , and 3 silkies ( still working on the sexes ) .

10. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Sorry to have gotten your hopes up, but I don't think you'll have enough hens. Donrae is right, you want a minimum of 12 for two boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by