Brown Leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Chickinn, Jan 17, 2009.

1. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    I am wanting to start breeding Brown Leghorns and have the chickens but I have a couple questions.
    1. how many roosters do I need for 7-8 hens?
    and
    2. how many chickens should I keep to have 10-20 eggs a week?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    First, there are dark brown leghorns and light brown leghorns (nicest looking, in my opinion). I'd get a couple of roosters (in case one dies). Many leghorns lay 200-220 eggs a year. anywhere between one dozen to two dozen hens will get you close to the number you want. When the hens' legs, comb and beak turn a pale white, they are nearing the end to their laying cycle. Get some younger hens, or hatch some yourself if you still have the roosters, to keep the flock fresh.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if your doing this for breeding,, you will want 1 roo in with the girls,, but you will want 2 roo's,,like said,, in case 1 gets sick, or dies,, but also, you'll want to switch them out every few months,, a roo will pick a favorite hen, and after a while, that hen will get most of his attention, leaving alot of infertile eggs.

4. The Chickinn

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    bump

5. The Chickinn

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    bump

6. The Chickinn

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    bumpety bump bump

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Always keep 2 males. If you do they'll both be fine. If you keep only 1 he'll die. Always happens.

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i would keep 4 hens and one rooster in 2 seperate cages.. if it is a "breeding program" you want a be able to see which rooster makes prettier babies and such,, ect...

9. The Chickinn

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    bump

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Er, 10-20 eggs a week, during a hen's peak laying year(s), doesn't require many chickens. I mean, 21 eggs a week is just 3 eggs per day, which would be *almost* provided by 3 birds and safely by 4.

10-20 eggs a *day* would require a dozen or two hens, certainly [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by