brown leghorns....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingpincray, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    Are brown leghorns noisy when they start laying or do they even stop cackling all morning? I have white leghorn/orpington crosses and they are noisy when they are laying and I have just sold them as I am in town. I still have two brown leghorns that are 3months old and at the moment quite still.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I thought all chickens were noisy when they laid. I live in town but my neighbors are early risers and don't mind at all. [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My (white) Leghorns are pretty quiet in the nest. It's my Redstar Queenie that gets a wild hair now and then and decides to raise all kinna heck! She makes up her own rules as she goes along, definitely a personality, that one!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My leghorns have all quieted down.

It's my wheaten Ameraucanas that make a LOT of noise.

5. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    Quote:Definitely not all. I have two ex battery hens that are so quite that you wouldn't they are there most of the time. My leghorns...my goodness....but they are now sold to someone else in the country. A very reluctant sale though as they are laying large beautiful creamy eggs at the moment and they are only in their third week of laying. I will get to enjoy their company for another week or so as the buyer can't pick up until after Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by