1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown leghorns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PerfectPoultry, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I have three brown leghorn hens. Got them when they were molting, each laid one egg, then they stopped and haven't laid an egg for at least 2-3 months. Today I locked one in a nesting box and she laid one...? Then I trapped another and she did... Why would they only do it if they're forced?

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are you sure the hens aren't laying their eggs somewhere that you don't know about? Do you let them free range? Maybe they are laying their eggs in a secret spot.

3. No, they do free-range, but I'm out there keeping a close eye. I know for sure they aren't.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well there's no way trapping them in a nesting box forced them to lay. I'd say confine them all for a day or so and I'll bet you're getting eggs.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    At best the trapping in the nest box was coincidental to the 'start' of egg laying. I'm not a betting man, but I'll bet there is a hidden nest someplace.

6. In a small run where would they lay them? They don't sit down anywhere... I'll just have to see if someone lays another egg today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by