Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
I had 3 of these brown mottled girls pop out from my Mottled Cochin pen.
The only 'other roo' I ever saw in the mott Cochin pen was a silver laced Polish. The chicks had greenish legs and that made sense at the time.
Now that they are grown, I'm not sure.
They look too Cochin-y to be Polish X, but they do have some lacing showing up.

345349348.jpg

345349350.jpg

345349351.jpg

I have them in the pen with a mottled Cochin now.
If I hatched any of their eggs, any idea what I *might* expect the chicks to look like?

smile.png

Thanks!
Lisa

Don't know if the silver-laced polish could produce that color...but what a GREAT start on Mille Fleur cochins. Bred back to a mottled, they will probably produce mottled's.

You should check out the Mille Fleur cochin thread and see if anyone is interested in them...I mean, IF you are interested in selling them...

It looks to me that something "buff" bred them... like a buff brahma...with that "necklace".

I agree, they could be a nice start to a mille fleur program. I'm certain if you're looking to sell, you won't have a problem finding homes for them
smile.png

I think they're pure cochin...if a brahma had got in the pen, they would have pea combs.

The chicks would likely be mottled, or similar to it.

They're not Polish X- no trace of a crest(it's dominant) and leg feathering normally would be much reduced plus the body would be longer with a slightly longer tail than a normal cochin. I agree with others that these look pure cochin.

My own guess if these were out of the mottled cochins, they are proof that some birds in there are not pure for black gene.

The "dark" neck and bodies can be from the extra melanizers that help turn a bird solid black without the leakiness on hackles/saddles.

There is a gene for black, however it often does not turn a chicken completely black by its own so they need the additional genes to make them solid black. Also many solid black chickens are based on birchen, which definitely needs helper genes to turn a birchen based chicken solid black.

With a mottled cochin, they will produce mottleds and probably some mottleds with some brown leaking on the necks/breasts/saddles(on the roos).

Mottleds are mottling on a black chicken and the black(and birchen) gene is dominant.

Last edited:
Good question. They will be mottled, that is for sure. I don't know how the genes for darkening the birds would interact with mille fluer pattern. My guess the birds will look mille fluer but possibly be a little darker in varying areas. Thing is, the white spot tends to be more obvious when on a dark feather so I wonder if a mille fluer with the darkened feathers might show the mottling better simply by contrast but that's just a guess. Notice how the little mottle spot still stands out very well on the dark feathers on the neck and back feathers.

It might be possible to use that light breasted hen for a mille project if she has what I think(and mille fleurs) have(the Columbian gene to be exact)..

I am afraid to say too much as mille fluers are not an area I am familiar with though. It's an complex pot of many genes interacting to create that color/pattern.

ya.gif
I don't know what you are doing down there .... but you always have the best looking mixes!!!!! Those birds are wonderful looking and I agree with the other responses..... you should create a new color variety using millies!!!

Hi!
Thanks for the info, Kev!
They're cute, but I'm not a fan of brown birds so I won't be hatching their eggs. If anyone thinks they could use them for making more brown mottled birds, email me.
Hi Chickenbuddy0! I don't know what I'm doing down here either, but THANKS!
smile.png

smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom