Brown or Buff?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchickiefarmer, Jul 28, 2008.

1. newchickiefarmer

newchickiefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a difference between "buff" and "brown" as far as color goes? I got three brown frizzle bantams a few weeks ago, but I'm having a hard time finding info on "brown frizzles"...I AM however finding a lot on "buff frizzles"...is it the same thing?

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Buff is a tan colored bird. My DD calls them the yellow birds.

Here is my Buff Cochin - Lizzy
    [​IMG]

These are my buff Orpingtons - Mary and Tiki.
    [​IMG]

3. newchickiefarmer

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    okay..that makes a little more sense. one of 'em is definately tan so far...there's one that's growing feathers like crazy and it's got a whole bunch of dark brown, light brown, white, and the little fuzzy head yellow. I will post pictures tomorrow he really is the most colorful thing so far. so...getting back on track...brown does not mean buff...right?

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    buffs are these golden yellow magnificent chickens...

here's my big boy Barley he's such a good boy when it comes to NOT being in striking range of my nasal passage... owww.......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't think I really hear birds being called brown. Buff is like a light brown, red is like a dark brown, and paridge is like a mix of light and dark brown.

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I think brown are referred to as chocolate. (A half dozen Chocolate Orp eggs just sold on ebay in the UK for the equivalent of $500 US!

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    There are brown cochin bantams which are basically BBR, they arent that common but they are in the standard. Could the bird be red or buff or maybe partridge?

8. newchickiefarmer

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    well, the guy at the hatchery called them "brown frizzle cochin bantams"....I have three of them, two are ending up frizzle (yay), and the other's feathers are laying flat and quite nice. it is a light brown, but not gold or yellow..just a flat light brown. One of the frizzles is just about the same color as the first, perhaps just a half a shade darker, but still..not yellow, not gold...

and the third is just gorgeous...it's got a lot of dark brown, some light brown, some white...of course they're all only a month old...so maybe it'll change? I'm just looking for some pictures and nowhere can I find anything with "brown" in the name.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by