Brown or White, does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjsgrlsx3, Nov 1, 2011.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    I hear a lot of people prefer brown eggs. I like them simply because they are different from what I ate growing up. What is your reason for wanting brown eggs if there is no difference?

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i really dont care and dont think is no difference. we have big brown eggs, white eggs, tinted eggs, blah blah blah. some tiny as and others large. they all taste the same to me!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The food value of them all is just the same, so doesn't matter to me.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We have all brown layers and three EE's. I love the variation in the color of the brown eggs. White eggs are boring to me.

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    They're all the same for everything except color, but most people like the variation [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    For some reason city folks associate brown eggs to the barnyard egg. White eggs are cityfied eggs. So the difference is in perception. But for my viewing I like to look at the shades of brown and green eggs over the white ones. But I like white trucks over the other colors. It's just what you like to look at.

7. jjlunachick

jjlunachick New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    Used to be that brown eggs came from a small farm and the chickens were free range, so were preferable to many people who didn't want hormones 'n' stuff in their eggs. Now you can buy them in the grocery and there is no difference in grocery bought eggs. The difference in eggs is not color but whether they are from a giant farm that feeds growth hormone or a grandpa's house, don't cha know.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The inside of the eggs is all the same, so I think people just get turned on to a certain color.....They pay more for the brown eggs at the grocery store, maybe because they think they're more wholesome or "straight from the farm"......

I like pretty colored egg shells, so my little flock has white egg layers, brown, olive green, and a nice sea foam green......I love the beauty. I need to find a pink egg layer.....LOL

Sharon

9. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well most of the white egg layers are considered to be flighty and not so friendly, from what I have read. So when I was buying chicks I asked my two friends with chickens which breeds they preferred for friendliness and general calm as we were only getting 3 chicks and they would need to be safe around my kids practically pets. They didn't have any Buff Orps so I got a Rhode Island Red, a Production Red and a Wyandotte (just because I wanted a black and white one!). They have been good girls for us so far.

So for me I would lean towards brown egg layers because I want friendly, calm birds. We like getting eggs but we aren't selling eggs or anything so wasn't looking for high production rate hen over all else. Everything I have read says the white egg layers are the best.

10. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    The only egg color that mattered to me was the blue or green of the EE, and the dark brown of the Marans, because I thought they were pretty. Well when I picked out what chickens I wanted & what was available, Marans were not available at the local feed store.

Chicken wise, I wanted friendly calm hens, because I have kids. And I like my chickens like I like my Christmas trees, Short Fat & Dumpy. And that is what I got, my BO are nice and fluffy, my Light Brahams are very chunky, love their bloomers. [​IMG]
    My BR are filling out, but are not as fluffy as the other girls, but lay lovely beige eggs, so it's okay. [​IMG]

My sweet EE are still pullet size, slender bodies, not old enough to lay yet, and are addicted to BOSS (Crack for Chickens) [​IMG] [​IMG]

An egg is an egg is an egg, as long as it is not from a store. My oldest informed me on Sunday, after making french toast for them, using our own eggs. That this french toast tasted much better than before (was using the last of my store bought eggs). So even my 6 year old can now tell the difference between fresh eggs from our hens & store bought eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by