Brown or White Eggs Dominants?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Feb 5, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Are brown eggs or white eggs geneticaly dominant I have two leghorns that are crossed with some brown eggs layer so I was wondering what they will lay when they are older?

Thanks
    Henry

2. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    My leghorn crosses all lay either white or off white eggs.

Donna

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Supposedly if they have white ears they lay white eggs and if they have brown (or colored) ears they lay brown eggs.

So far I have a Polish mix with white ears that lays brown eggs

I have a Lakenvelder that is supposed to lay white and she lays brown. So for me brown is dominant, I do prefer brown but what happened to my white ones?

[​IMG]

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I havent checked their ears I think they are red though they should be White Leghorn roo over Buff orph, JG, or RIR so I think I will have alot of nice brown eggs not sure though they are from PC's flock of chickens.

Henry

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Anyone else have any Idea ?

6. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    White & blue are the two 'base' colours for eggs. Brown is an overlay, that is only added to the outside of the egg. So, if you're mixing white and whitew/brown, my guess is you would end up getting white with 'light' brown overlay? Its only a guess, as I don't have a clue on the mechanisms of egg color gene mixing.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    that fine not even my bio teacher new and not many people can ask him a question he can't answer it was great and I just want to be able to rub it in his face (not really) that someone else new. He said there is one way to find out wait for them to lay LOL he is a chickens crazy too he bet our class that no one else got the Murry MCmurry cataloge and he was amazed when I came in with it the next day LOL.

Thanks
    Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by