Brown paint inside coop too dark?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicole01, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm looking for a paint that includes primer to make less work for hubby to paint. He would like to leave as is(particle board), but I heard it's best to paint. I'm looking for a pratical color vs what looks good. I would like to do a brown because it would show less marks for the chickens to peck at on the wall. We have a light installed for the winter months at the top of the coop, which is 8 feet high right in the center of the coop. We are using a standard 60 watt bulb inside a cage for the bulb. Would brown be too dark?

I personally like the looks of the particle board, so if you think I don't need to paint please tell me. Our coop is a room inside our garage, so it is weather safe and I would not paint the outside. Thanks in advance.

2. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    why not just do a clear coat or sealer of some kind giving u the look u want!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Have you considered just using a poly to seal the particle board and make it easier to clean?
    I don't have chickens, but I don't think I have ever read anything on BYC about chickens pecking at the walls.

Editted for spelling and to say:

Great minds work alike! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I didn't paint the inside of mine. Why bother? It's the outside that's exposed to the weather. If you have roosts up against the wall, maybe paint behind them to make cleaning easier, but I don't find that much poop ends up on my walls.

Personally, I wouldn't bother!

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thanks! I never thought of that. Perfect. [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I heard the smell will stay inside the wood. Since it's so close to the house, I'd like to keep the smell down. Luckily, the outer walls are protected by the garage. So far we can't smell the poop at all, we only smell the pine.

7. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I heard the smell will stay inside the wood. Since it's so close to the house, I'd like to keep the smell down. Luckily, the outer walls are protected by the garage. So far we can't smell the poop at all, we only smell the pine.

@pawsplus Painting the inside is to make it easier thoroughly clean out once a year. One side of my coop is a double door so I can rake out all the bedding. Then I can spray it down if needed. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but a nice glossy paint job to seal up all that porous wood is money well spent in my book.

With that said, if you opt for a color, I would prefer using a darker color next time. I didn't want white, but more of a neutral beige/linen so that it's not bright when the light is on. It worked, but it makes poop stand out too much. My next coop will have a darker color on the inside I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by