Brown pooh????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicegrip, Feb 23, 2009.

1. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I would like to know if my week old chicks having light brown pooh is a problem ore just a paranoid dad? Thy have had a worm or 2 sense we have had them.

And how do you stop pasty but??

2. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    I have 3 day old chicks and am wondering the same things. Tried to wipe one this am, and it was not well received at all....Moonlyghtegirl

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    First of all, welcome to you both!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vice, I believe it's advised not to give treats to newly hatched chicks until they are at least 3 weeks old. And when they start getting treats, you need to sprinkle parakeet grit on their food because they need grit to digest things like worms, greens, etc. It's not necessary to give grit if they're only eating chick starter. If the poo isn't runny or doesn't continue to be runny, I wouldn't worry too much. Very well could be the worms you gave.

Vice and moonlyghte,

It's real real important not to let pasty butt develop. It can and does kill chicks. There are several ways to get it off. I think most people take a warm, wet, soapy (not sure about the soapy) washcloth and gently rub the vent and try to soften the poo. Then they gently try to remove it. You could also try letting a trickle of water run over the area to soften it but make sure the chick(s) doesn't get chilled. If it gets wet, dry it with a warm - not hot - hair dryer set on gentle. I have removed the poo by wetting it and yanking it off. the feathers were pulled out too. I had read this is good because the poo won't get stuck in those feathers again but, after the fact, I read here that it can actually hurt the baby so I wouldn't go that route. Pasty butt can be stubborn to treat and remove but it MUST be done. Good luck!

4. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Quote:I know that putting there buts in warm water under the faucet works good just be gentle and let it absorb the water and then wipe it (only wet there buts). They don’t seem to like it but it keeps them open.

If not they will die a slow painful death. From my understanding.

5. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Pasty butt can be stubborn to treat and remove but it MUST be done.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Is there no cure for pasty but???​

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    sugar water can cause pasty butt. I've read on here to put a little molasses in their water as it's a natural laxitive. Haven't had to try it but it's supposed to help prevent it. I don't think i would give it to all the chicks though. Good Luck. O Yea. Welcome to BYC home of the obsessed chicken lovers. LOL

7. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Well, that still was not well received, but at least it is done...for now.

I put a pail of warm water next to the brooder, and lifted one chick at a time and wiped them well. Some was especially stuck on, so I rotated to the next chick, and then back to no.1. I held them so that they never left the heat of the brooder lamp.

Sounds like they are still talking about it! [​IMG]

8. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Sounds good hope it works going to check mine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by