1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown recluse bite! !??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, May 28, 2017.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [GALLERY=][GALLERY=][/GALLERY][/GALLERY]

Born on Easter 2017. Only one out of chicks with this issue. .

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have vet care available?

I have not seen this before, but it doesn't look good to me. It looks like the tissue is dying.

@casportpony @Eggcessive any thoughts?

3. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure it's a brown recluse ? Caught early enough ice would have helped. Heavy antibiotics is the only way to treat it . Don't lance it ! I would soak the leg in a cold hydrogen peroxide soak . It might help .The problem is the age and the amount of of the tissue in then area of the bite . The actual amount of muscle in this area is small and has allowed the venom to move quickly through it . I think you have to make a choice here . I'm not sure a vet could help this and if one can it will be expensive.:fl

The venom paralyzes the tissue and starts the decomposition process. it's amazing that such a small creature wields such deadly power . In humans the bite is extremely painful . The damage isolated to a small area but if untreated it can spread . I met a man that lost his leg to a spider bite .

4. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I work at a 24 he animal emergency clinic. They, of course don't see poultry, but I had the night vet look at him, and he is pretty sure brown recluse bite. .

BYC910 likes this.
  5. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

Did he suggest a coarse of treatment? I never have much luck treating anything chicken . Seems like they all end up the same . I hope your luck is better than mine .

6. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    That looks horrible. We had a rescue opossum come in with a recluse bite a few years ago, it was a booger to treat, took forever to heal and left a nasty scar. It's hard to really tell from the pictures, but it looks like the tissue is necrotic. As BYC910 stated, at this stage a vet would be of little help, unfortunately and home treatment, I'm afraid, would yield little effect. In all honesty, it looks like a form of staph infection called Gangrenous Dermatitis. If that is indeed the case, euthanasia is the kindest recourse.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Yes. Tissue is necrotic. He's still alive. On clavamox and metacam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by