Brown Recluse Dangerous for RR's to eat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sketch, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sketch

Sketch New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    West Virginia
    Hello Everyone,

I've a question that I've not been able to find much of an answer on here. I do apologize if its a repost. I am thinking of moving my coop behind our shed, next to a wood pile. now, I know my chickens love their bugs, but seeing as we're in "blown recluse" country, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I've not actually seen any - mostly wolf spiders or smaller varieties. If i move the coop next to the wood pile, and IF a brown recluse gets into the coop or the chickens find one while wandering, is it dangerous to the chickens both as the biter or the bitee??

Also, I sprayed my garden with Sevin about 6-8 weeks ago. I was wondering if it was safe to let the chickens loose in the garden (fenced in), as they might eat dead bugs that were killed by the sevin - I have not searched the forum for this topic (sorry).

Thanks!

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Bite would most likely kill. I doubt if they would eat the spiders but if they did I don't think it would hurt them.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

I do not recall ever reading on here of a chicken/brown recluse problem, and there are brown recluses as well as plenty of black widows where I live. I have never had a problem like this, either.

4. BYC_In_Long_Beach

BYC_In_Long_Beach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    My chickens eat black widow spiders and they love them!

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Eating them doesn't pose a problem.

AL

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Wouldn't be a good thing for the spider but the chickens would probably love the snack.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We love seeing our chickens eat Black Widow spiders which I believe are even more deadly than Brown Recluse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by