brown recluse (fiddle back) killed today!!!!!

can you hear me now?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Southwest Missouri
We were.getting some old tin to cover our coop with from my wife's aunts house today when I see a brown spider. I look closer and just as I recognize the fiddle on its back, my gloved wife brushes it off the tin. I say hey that was a fiddleback. She says what? I say brown recluse, she says oh and picks up her foot for the crunch. Anyone ever seen em this late in the year? Wow I hate spiders.

I wouldn't have to worry about the camelback spiders because 1) I don't live in a desert area and 2) I would quickly have a heart attack, so I wouldn't have to worry about how to handle the situation
Black widows don't bother me much...I guess because they're outdoor critters, so I'm just cautious when going through woodpiles, etc. We use to catch them when we were kids (with a mason jar). We thought we were brave. Who knew we were just dumb...lol.
But those brown recluses scare the crap out of me...thoughts of dying tissue...the wound results just look SO disgusting... Plus I don't want to get close enough to to examine the symbol on the back to see whether it actually IS a brown recluse or not
barnie.gif

The brown recluse spider can live for two years or more. Adults will attempt to overwinter, but most won't survive. Fortunately, most people are very unlikely to ever encounter them. can you hear me now?, you are, unfortunately, in the center of their distribution.
colorloxmap.gif

We've killed THREE already .. (and we've been in our house for only 7 months ..
hide.gif
)

We have the brown recluse in our house. When we moved in there were a huge number of them. It was normal to find at least two or three a day. From talking to our exterminator (yeah, it did not take long to talk to an exterminantor) they tend to live in colonies, so if you see more than an occasional straggler, you can have a bunch. We get our house sprayed every three months and still find some. The spraying does not get to where the spider lives so it does not kill all of them. It does greatly reduce their food supply so it really cuts the numbers back. Now we usually only see two or three a month instead of two or three a day. I'd love to only see two or three in 7 months. We could tent the house and fumigate, but they would just come back in from outside and recolonize. To me, the tenting is not worth it.

Yeah .. they really trip DH out .. (of course ANY spider trips DH out .. hehe) .. so I always say something like:

"Well, for every one we see, there are about 30 that we don't!"

Then I usually have to duck .. quickly ...
lol.png

We have scorpions too .. but, ya know, WE built in THEIR woods ..
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom