Brown Red bantam Sumatras?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Jan 5, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Anyone ever seen those before? I was just at someone's house and she just got four roos and two hens. She said they were F16, and they looked awful typey to me... I just had never seen them before. Anyone else? She also got a trio of splash, a trio of blues and a trio of blacks. What are the odds of that happening? Wow!

Sorry, had the name wrong. When I went to take a photo she told me they were Brown Red, not Black Breasted Red, and I am too new to know the difference. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I would LOVE to see a picture...

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    what is F16?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They sound like they would be striking, how did they look?. yea what is F16?.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    F16=sixteen generations away from whatever he crossed them on to get BBR in the first place, probably OEG, and bred back to sumatras over and over and over to set type. I will ask her tomorrow if I can take some photos and post them here, as this is the only place I could get all excited about a little odd color set of birds and find anyone that wanted to talk about them.

They looked pretty $*%& good to me! I don't know what the hens are supposed to look like. They just looked like little hens, one was black, one was black with red on her neck. A couple of the roos had multiple spurs, one had blackish pigment on his otherwise red head, The others had muted red faces. Their tails are long, full and well feathered, with very strong green sheen. They all had pea combs, proportionate to their heads, straight toes, full, graceful neck hackles. The held their tails pretty "right" even though she had just gotten them in and they were a little aggitated. I was impressed. I will have to get pics tomorrow!

6. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    editted because wrong...........cackle has cubalaya

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    They sound Gorgeous! I would love to see photos Patty. Have you ever seen a Blue Red Yokohama, they are pretty too.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have seen black legged culls from cubalaya pens that looked just like sumatras. If you compare the standards they are almost identicle on many parts like multiple spurs, pea comb, long tails, etc. The main difference is leg color and face color. The tail angle is debatable because many sumatras have low tails when not bred properly. If you look at black cubalayas they are basically a red faced sumatra with more of an oriental look to them.
    I too am looking forward to seeing pics.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I took a photo this morning, sorry the light is so bright and harsh and does not show the color very well, and she was on her way out to go pick up feed so I didn't want to waste too much of her time waiting for the "perfect shot" per se... so this is the one of two that I took.

[​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Holy cow is he cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by