Brown Snake in run!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Poliwag, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I spotted a brown snake in the chooks' run. I was only a half metre away from it before it went slithering under the coop. I pulled up all the boards I could to try to find the snake but with no luck. I did, however, find a rat skull. Do snakes spit up their prey's bones by chance? If so, that might mean that the snake has been here for a while and I didn't know it o.o;

I don't know what to do about it. Right now my chooks are safe in my bathroom [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Or if there is anything I can do?

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Have any idea what kind of snake ?

3. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Australian Brown Snake. I should have mentioned I live in Australia lol

4. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Hve no clue what that is how long are they ?

5. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Well I came in here to tell you that snakes are our friends, and it's super easy to recognize the ones to avoid.

Then I saw that you live in Australia, and I will now retract that statement [​IMG]
    Are Browns venomous? I recall that just about every snake in Australia is venomous, but I wasn't sure...
    N. America really only has one venomous snake that has attitude. Australia's variety of things that will mess you up always awes me a bit.

6. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:I think they are second most deadly snake in Australia. The King Brown is the most deadly snake in Australia.

Hve no clue what that is how long are they ?

The one I saw, would have been maybe a little bigger than a metre but it moved pretty fast and I was more worried about it going after my chooks than what size it was lol​

7. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    No doubt can you see the hole its using
    If so you can get some of those large sticky rat traps and put in front of it
    Is it stealing eggs ?

8. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:I don't know where or if I can get those where I live and the hole it was using leads into under the floor. I pulled up a lot of the boards but I couldn't see the snake. And I don't think it is. It's hard to say as my chooks will lay and won't lay. They are annoying like that [​IMG]

9. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I would think its there for a free meal
    Can you get ceramic or porcelin eggs there

10. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I think one of the things that gives me the heebies about Australian venomous snakes is that, to me, they don't LOOK venomous. All of the dangerous guys here look distinctly threatening. I guess it's that heavy, pit viper body and the forward-set eyes. I would have a hard time re-adjusting my thoughts to include shiny slender snakes in the "see it by your foot and you can levitate" category.
    You are brave! I am constantly being accused by the non-outdoorsy of being too comfortable with snakes, and I wouldn't go diggin' for that guy!
    [​IMG]

There was a thread on here months ago about a guy who caught snakes on his property with a series of nets, but I can't for the life of me remember what his name was, or what the thread was called. His results were amazing though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by