Brown Speckled Sussex?

celestialurbangarden

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2019
Hello,

I have a 5 month old Brown Speckled Sussex, at least that’s what I was told. But she is so small and doesn’t look like any of the pictures I’ve found online for Brown Speckled Sussex, although, she has layed two eggs this week. They are small, light brown eggs. I believe that’s also not true for the Sussex. Could she be a different type of breed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 33
Thank you so much! What a beautiful chicken! I’m so happy to know that 1) I was right it’s not a Sussex and 2) I know what breed finally! Now, I must research!

What do you like about this breed? How long have you had your chicken?

Well, Cairo is over two, her and her sister a silver spangled hamburg. They're small, as you've noticed, can be flighty... Mine are normally fairly calm, but they can fly quite a distance. They lay almost daily, and are known for being big producers. They're the only bantams I have... except my older araucana is about the same size. Cairo here is at or near the bottom of the pecking order, even if Silver (the silver spangled) is about midway up.

Yes, I’ve noticed she is flighty. She was the first one to lay eggs, actually the only one. However, she hasn’t layed any eggs this week. Is that normal? She layed 4 eggs last week and this week haven’t seen any eggs.

it can be... Depends on a bunch of things. Has it been really hot? Has something happened that could have stressed her out? Also, it just could be the egg machine getting the settings right.
My birds usually slow down or stop in the highest part of the summer, and the coldest part of winter. I'm rather surprised because even though I just lost over half my flock to predators, my hamburgs, last EE and only laying Araucana have kept on laying. My Dark brahma (the only survivor from my original flock) has stopped laying.

I’m sorry to hear about your flock. It might be too soon to ask, but are you planning on getting more chickens?

It has been hot and cold at night surprisingly.Thats the only thing I can think of. But I’ll keep observing. Thank you so much for your quick response!

I’m sorry to hear about your flock. It might be too soon to ask, but are you planning on getting more chickens?

It has been hot and cold at night surprisingly.Thats the only thing I can think of. But I’ll keep observing. Thank you so much for your quick response!

I think a weasel got into my run, so I need to shore up my defenses first. After that, yes, I'm thinking about getting more. I'll probably get one or two more brown layers, maybe a marans for variety, but I want to get more Araucana. One of the chickens that was killed out right was my new araucana cockerel, and one I had to put down was another araucana cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom