Brown spot on egg and then hens comb turns pale

May 27, 2019
Kaufman Texas
Hello everyone :frow!
I have a question for all you smart people. I have an australorp that doesn't lay often. It is hot here so I have chalked it up to that. I give frozen veggies and ice water to help. I also make sure there is shade. She has a pretty red comb usually. Then she lays an egg,finally, and after her comb is pale. Could she be anemic? There is also a small brown spot on the yolks. I have given her vitamins and electrolytes in her water for a few days every 3 wks or so. It seems to help. She gets oyster shells for calcium. What else should I do? I know y'all are always a big help and I thank y'all soooo much. :bow

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
She has a pretty red comb usually. Then she lays an egg,finally, and after her comb is pale. Could she be anemic? There is also a small brown spot on the yolks.
How pale is the comb after she lays the egg, does it brighten back up after a little while?
Photos might be helpful and interesting as well - one before she lays and egg, then one after so you can do a comparison.
I do notice some of my hens are a bit "paler" right after they lay an egg, but the color comes back in a few hours, hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts, but I "assume" it's normal to do that.

A brown spot in the egg - photos of that too if you have that - it is likely a "meat spot" which can be a common finding in eggs.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

It will not hurt to check her over for lice/mites and get a fecal float to see if there is a worm problem.

Top Bottom