Brown spots ON brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dudethecat, Dec 28, 2015.

1. dudethecat

dudethecat New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Hi, I found lice and lice sacs/nest on my hens, while googling "how do I get rid of lice sacs" I got distracted by a page saying brown spots on eggs are mites. Is that true? Because I've had brown spots (not poo) on eggs.
    Also... I still haven't learned how to get those cement like lice sacs off of my chickens feathers. Any advice? Thank you, Karen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those brown flecks are not because of lice. Think of brown eggs as being white with that brown 'coating' applied to it. Some hens will have a bit of 'over-spray'.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

The lice eggs on the base of feathers are hard to get off....
    ....best to treat for the lice every 10 days until they are gone and let the chicken preen off the lice egg remains.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. dudethecat

dudethecat New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Thank you, I feel silly now for believing it. I think finding lice and lice sacs on my hens had me freaking.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you treated the birds to get rid of the lice?

6. dudethecat

dudethecat New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Not yet, I'm getting ready to get some essential oils, then gearing up to clean out the coop and run, then give my chickens a bath and a treat them with the oils.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have lice eggs clustered on the feather shaft bases, you have an infestation.....essential oils will not likely get rid of them.

8. dudethecat

dudethecat New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Dang-it. Yes, that's what they have, clusters on the bottom of the feather shafts.
    I was advised to suffocate the clusters with oils (essential, neep or coconut) and treat with DE, and keep it up every 10 days.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oil could suffocate the egg clusters.....but won't kill the live lice, DE probably won't either.

10. dudethecat

dudethecat New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Then I'm at a loss. I was hopeful, now I'm stuck again. Do you have any suggestions? I'm heading out the door now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by