Brown spots on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tom evers, Jan 4, 2010.

1. tom evers

tom evers New Egg

Jul 2, 2009
    brunswick hills, ohio
    I just wanted to know if it is okay to eat a brown egg that has dark brown spots all over it. My white Plymouth Rock laid it. This does not always happen. She looks very healthy. I read somewhere this means she has chicken pox - could that be true? I am just worried about her, she is my baby (as are the other four chickens in my coop.)

2. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    My Red Star lays eggs with "freckles." They're slightly dimpled in from the surface and slightly rough. Hard to see that, try looking with a lens and bright light. The pigment is deposited last, and goes on heavy at the rough spots.

[​IMG]
    Normal.

Chicken Pox? Uh, no. That's a skin thing on humans, related to smallpox.

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    If you can feel the spots (or freckles!) as being raised and can flick them off with your fingernail, then it's... um... poop.

A sniff test will confirm!

Happens to half my eggs on a regular basis, no idea why... I just scrub the spots off with a sponge and all is good!

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG] lol

5. tom evers

tom evers New Egg

Jul 2, 2009
    brunswick hills, ohio
    Thanks. I will eat and enjoy my "special egg" Mickey (my White Plymouth Rock) is very healthy and very active, loves to talk back to you. Actually the picture you sent me was very similar to my brown spotted egg. Mickey also loves to poop a lot but the egg looked clean of poop [​IMG]

I just got a little worried when I went to Ask.com and the answer was avain chicken pox. I am still new to this hobby so I am very gullible.

6. backyarder717

backyarder717 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Quote:I would stick to the BYC fourms...alot of knowledge here specific to our chicks

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I get brown speckled eggs frequently and one hen that often lays eggs with lavender speckles. Out of the 2 dozen eggs in the frig. right now, roughly a third of them are speckled. Absolutely nothing wrong with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by