brown star chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by debbyluvschickens, May 1, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Hi, has anyone ever heard of a brown star? I bought some 7 week old pullets from a petting zoo and they were rir, barred rock, white leghorn, buff rock and supposedly brown stars but I cannot find anything on brown stars, only black and red stars. The chicks are light red mixed with white. I would post pictured but I cant figure out how..lol.

Also are these stars good chickens? I am new to them and the buff rocks.

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They are a sex-link. I've not heard of them refered to as Brown Stars but there are dozens of names for them.

Basically they are the result of a red male mated to a silver gened female.

Awesome layers in their first two years and super sweet and friendly all the time. [​IMG]

3. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    thanks so much, great to hear i got such good chickens..too bad i only got 3.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Probably a Red Star. We only had one; she was an awesome layer and had an awesome personality, too, very tame and friendly. We plan on getting more sometime. Ours laid all winter.

5. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I paid 5 dollars each for mine, i got 3 of them, 3 barred rock, 2 white leghorn, 2 rir, and 1 buff rock. They are 6 dollars now because they are big enough to go outside, but I think I will go and get a few more of those and the barred rocks. I was thinking they must be red stars, I am going to ask him where he ordered them, then I should be able to find out for sure what they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by